Friday, October 31, 2008

Crashing the Parties

Okay, so maybe I'm not exactly a "crasher" in the classic sense because I really only show up where I've been invited -- mostly. But I've been getting some opportunities to sit in on others' fun lately.

A couple of weeks ago I popped down to Kansas City to hang out with teammates Chad and Traci at their loft apartment in an old downtown warehouse (how young and urban). They had some others from their church over and we discussed using the arts to grow disciples and to help them reach their community. Had a great time sitting on the futon munching dessert and tossing out whatever ideas came into my head willy-nilly. A couple of them were even worth hearing, maybe. But the best part was watching the group get excited about starting a new work in the church with the artists they have. Chad and Traci hope to try out some of the ideas we've kicked around in our ministry, and I for one am anxious to see what happens.

This Sunday night I get to party-crash closer to home at Willow Creek Baptist Church here in Des Moines. I preached there twice this summer and I get to go back and do it again. They're anxious to hear about what God has been doing regarding Pat's health, and I'm anxious to tell them. The people there were so wonderful to us, so we're looking forward to worshiping together again. If you're in the neighborhood, drop on over. The party starts at 6:00. Er, I guess they don't mind me inviting others. Hmmm, maybe I'm more crasher-like than I thought.

And lastly, on the following Sunday (the 9th) I'll be preaching at the party we attend every Sunday morning at Westwind Church in Waukee. And I know I can invite you to that one. The festivities start at 9:30. We've been working our way through Matthew and I get to do a passage that includes what I think are two very powerful stories attesting to the Kingship of Christ -- the healing of the leper and the healing of the centurion's servant. Hmmm, getting to be a running theme in my life. I love running themes.

A belated shout-out to Big Jim for helping me get a too-dangerous-to-drive truck to the mechanic. And to Dave for the use of the trailer to do it.

2 comments:

Amy said...

The healing of the centurion's servant is my favorite story in the Bible! Can't wait to hear your take on it!

Nightmayer said...

Yikes! No pressure there. ;)

Just kidding. I just got back from 'crashing the party' over at Willow Creek and it felt great to be back in the saddle again, so now I'm really looking forward to next week. (Sorry about the mixed metaphor.) -- Kevin