Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Huh.

You need to understand that this post’s title isn’t a question (“Huh?”), but a statement. Sort of a quick version of “Well that certainly didn’t turn out like I expected”. I’m feeling kind of “Huh” as of late.

A year ago we were traveling through western Europe making contacts we hoped would benefit us when we moved there. Pat showed her artwork at a party in Dusseldorf, we visited a new media studio in Augsburg, we hung out with innovators in Zurich, and we talked with several ministries in Paris and Lyons.

But yesterday began the 10th month of Pat’s illness and much has changed in the last year. Huh.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not feeling fatalistic or depressed or even melancholy. (I’m prone to that last one and this isn’t it.) But it strikes me that I do you a disservice if I make it sound as though our journey is always all grins and giggles. It’s not. Whose is?

Life isn’t all fun and games just because we know Jesus. In fact, pretty much the opposite is guaranteed. Sunday’s sermon at our church centered on faithfulness. Christ calls us to have at least a little faith, but to have great faithfulness, to remain doing what we know to be right and true.

And I hope we do. Much has changed and our new ministry directions have great potential. But whatever direction they take us, my prayer and hope is that we’re always faithful. To paraphrase the three young Jewish men about to be cast into the furnace for refusing to worship an idol: “The God we serve is able to save us and will rescue us. But even if he does not, we will serve no other.”

Huh.

No comments: