Thursday, April 10, 2008

Well, that was embarrassing

Had a bit of an "incident" yesterday at the airport on our way to Philadelphia. When my carry-on containing my laptop and readables went through the x-ray, it caught the attention of the security personnel. One of them asked, "Do you have anything sharp in this bag, like something with a handle and a curved blade?"

Yikes, no! What kind of chowderhead tries to carry a blade through airport security? I believe my actual response was something profound like, "Gee, I sure don't think so."

Back through the x-ray (the bag, not me).

Meanwhile, I'm standing there watching a different security guard telling someone that he can't take his giganto-sized toothpaste and his double-extra-large shaving cream container on the airplane. He looks surprised.
Me, experienced international traveller who survived going through Heathrow in August of 2006 after the attempted terrorist plot, when they wouldn't let you have ANY CARRY-ON AT ALL, NO IFS, ANDS, OR BUTS, I'm thinking, "Where's this guy been? Everyone knows you can't do that."

Then the guard returns with my bag and goes through all of the compartments again, including the double-secret compartment that he missed the first time. Yeah, I'm a real James Bond-type. He pulls out a rather large curved-blade with a handle. "Is this yours?"

And it is! But it's supposed to be at home in my basement with all the other tools I dont' know how to use -- not in my laptop bag! I stand there completely shocked, I think I even gasped out loud. Wow, didn't see that one coming. I thought the butler did it.

What surprised me was that I was not at least shuffled off into some little side room, let alone arrested. Maybe he could tell I would have cried like a little girl, I don't know. But he let through, WITHOUT THE MACHETE, though.

What a bonehead. We'll just keep this between us until after my meeting with the CrossWorld staff. No need to worry them.

Oh, and for those of you keeping score at home, Pat did pretty well on the trip out, though she's pretty exhausted tonight. We did use the wheelchair in Detroit, but only because we were in a hurry. So, we made it on time and I got my workout. Thanks for your prayers everyone!

3 comments:

the Unprofitable one said...

lol. that's funny stuff, right there.

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Enjoy your time there, Praying for you guys.
Chris M.

Anonymous said...

I'm not laughing AT you, just near you.
Love,
Cara