Monday, July 9, 2007

They Might Be Rude

Whenever we talk to people about actually moving to France, invariably the subject of the stereotype of French rudeness comes up. We've travelled there several times and can't say that we noticed any more or less rudeness than is typical elsewhere, especially of what you'd find in any large city. (We lived in Los Angeles for five years and one time the apartment building where we lived had one of its parking bays firebombed. To this day we consider that pretty rude.)

But I can across this article today and thought I'd pass it along. It gives some good understanding into the Parisian mindset towards visitors. I suppose if the world came to my house just to see the house (not me), ignored what I consider to be polite behavior in my living room, and expected me to speak a language other than what we speak in our home, I might get a bit, er, frosty as well. Okay, so I'm having trouble believing that everyone would come here just to see a three-bedroom ranch, but I think I've made my point.

Anyway, here's the article for you to check out.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/07/09/polite.paris.ap/index.html

And, the tip of the beret today goes to SKIP, for stopping over to take care of a few minor (except to the handy-challenged) plumbing issues. And he didn't even ask me to speak Plumberese.

P.S. Ratatouille -- go see it.

No comments: